CODE OF CONDUCT
Recognizing the need to maintain an environment suitable for studying, reading, browsing and the general use of library resources, the Library Board establishes Code and procedures to assure the safety of library users, library personnel, and library materials, equipment and furnishings; and to assure that the use of the library is not obstructed by inappropriate behavior or actions.
Library patrons are expected to follow all library Code and policies including this Code of Conduct. Entering the library implies agreement to abide by these Code and policies while in the library. Failure to do so may result in expulsion from the Library and/or loss of Library privileges. A person who defies an authorized library employee not to enter the library or not to remain in the library for failure to comply with the library’s Code and policies is subject to arrest for trespass (New York State Penal Law, Section 140.05)
The following Code is to be observed:
- Eating and drinking is allowed in the Library except near the computers. NOTE: Patrons are required to clean up after themselves.
- Use or exchange of tobacco, alcohol or illegal substances is prohibited.
- Pursuant to New York State Public Health Law Section 1399-0, smoking is prohibited in libraries and the surrounding grounds.
- The ban on smoking includes no smoking of substitutes such as vapor or similar products.
- Animals are not permitted in the library, with the exception of service animals or those authorized by prior arrangement.
- Appropriate dress, including shoes and shirts must be worn in the library.
- Bicycles are not allowed in the library.
- Use of roller blades and skateboards is prohibited on library grounds.
- Selling, advertising, petitioning, or soliciting for contributions is prohibited, except as authorized.
- Conduct which violates the criminal laws of the United States, the State of New York, and the County of Delaware, the Town of Delhi or the Village of Delhi may result in suspension or revocation of the violator’s access to the library’s premises.
- Disruptive behavior is prohibited. Disruptive behavior consists of actions which are illegal, or which infringe upon the rights of others using the library and/or disturb the tranquility of the library, or the proper activities of its staff and patrons. Disruptive behavior includes but is not limited to the following:
- Lewd behavior or sexual misconduct including exposure, offensive touching, or sexual harassment of other patrons or staff.
- Public drunkenness.
- Any behavior involving an unwilling person, or inappropriate or indecent behavior with a child.
- Boisterous behavior including shouting, running, or fighting.
- Misuse of library property.
- Profane, obscene, or offensive language directed at another person.
- Use of radios, stereos, video games, etc. without earphones.
- Verbal harassment of staff or patrons.
- Loud cellphone conversations that disturb other patrons.
- A person demonstrating disruptive behavior will be instructed by library staff to discontinue the behavior. If the behavior continues, the person will be instructed to leave the library. If a person so instructed does not leave within a reasonable amount of time, the staff will contact the proper authorities. Any serious incident involving a child will be reported to the child’s parent or legal guardian, who will also be informed of any action taken by the library.
- Illegal activity will be reported to the proper authorities immediately.
- The library is not responsible for the loss or theft of personal belongings of patrons.
A person not abiding by the Code of Conduct will receive one verbal warning. Those continuing to disregard the Code of Conduct, after being warned, will be asked to immediately leave the building for the remainder of the day.
Anyone asked to leave, is welcome to return the next day without consequence. However, a person who has been asked to leave, who returns and continues to violate the Code of Conduct, may be barred from future library use. The amount of time will be determined by the Library Director.
Adopted by the Board of Trustees
August 17, 2018