A brief history
The Hartwick Free Library opened its doors to the public on May 23, 1943. In June of 1961 Arthur R. Kinney and J.P. Kinney donated the present building to the town for use as a library as a memorial to their parents, Joseph and Isabel (Stanhouse) Kinney. This is the present building that the library occupies to this day. In 1962 the Kinney Memorial Library joined the Four County Library System which provides us with consolidated services including electronic resources and interlibrary loans. In 1989 an addition was added to house more of our books and the Historical Society.