In December, the Sidney Library held an electronics recycling event. We recently received the results and wanted to share them with you. Through this event, we recycled:
- 63 computers (1295 lbs)
- 79 TVs (4116 lbs)
- 61 computer monitors (1659 lbs)
- 3040 lbs in other electronics
The total weight recycled was over 10,000 lbs! These items will be recycled properly, thanks to REACT. We are glad we could provide this service to the community and will be sure to let you know if we hold another event soon.
A huge thanks to Amy from Cornell Cooperative Extension of Delaware County for her dedication in running the multiple weeks of the Nutrition Program. Each night, attendees have left with helpful tips, new recipes, and delicious samples of the evening’s dish. The final night will be Thurs. March 6th at 6:30pm in the Smart Community Room. If you haven’t stopped by yet, we encourage you to attend!
photograph by Alyssa Hardy
Alyssa Hardy, the art teacher at Bainbridge-Guilford High School, will display a collection of artwork that includes drawings, paintings, photographs, and prints. The exhibit features work made by Alyssa and her husband Dan, as well as college friends and some of Alyssa’s students over the years.
The highlight of the exhibit will be descriptions accompanying each image, giving some insight as to how each piece was created. For those of you who have wanted to learn more about art techniques, you are sure to enjoy this exhibit in the Smart Community Room for the month of March.
In addition to our weekly children’s programs, we will have the following bi-weekly events this week:
- PJ Story Time – Wed. March 5th at 6:30pm.
- Music For Munchkins – Thurs. March 6th at 10:30am.
Also, Dr. Seuss‘s birthday is this week so we will be honoring him by reading The Cat in the Hat, one of his most popular stories. We hope you can join us!
Do you have a camera you’d like help learning how to use? Or, are you interested in connecting with other photographers? Join Thomas Hunter (local photographer) and others for the Photography Club’s second meeting. It will be held at 6:00pm on Monday, March 3rd in the Community Room. Be sure to bring your camera!
Many of our patrons have commented on the beautiful nature and animal photography of Lucinda VanVleck hanging in the Smart Community Room this month. We are excited that Ms. VanVleck, the secretary for the Southern Tier Beekeepers’ Association, will speak about the art of beekeeping this Saturday, March 1st at 11:00am in the Smart Community Room. We hope you can join us for what promises to be an informative talk.
If you haven’t stopped into the Sidney Library’s DVD room recently, please note that we have set up a table where you can pick up both Federal and NYS tax forms and instruction booklets.
In addition to the wonderful children’s programs already in place, there are two special events for kids this week.
- Kids age 3-7 are invited to attend our Olympics Party, in celebration of the 22nd Winter Olympic Games. This Friday, February 21st from 10:30-11:30am in the Smart Community Room, we hope you will join us for reading, crafting, and game playing.
- The children’s movie this month is Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 and will be shown this Thursday, February 20th at 1pm in the Smart Community Room. You can read more about the movie and watch its trailer by clicking here to view our original post for the event.
Displayed on the end of each aisle in the adult section of the Sidney Library, you may have noticed that we feature books of different topics. If one catches your eye, please come in and check it out.
- NY Times Bestsellers of 2013
- Disorder (Serial Killers, etc)
- Personal Health
- Non-fiction that reads like fiction
- Preparing for Spring (Garden Planning)
- Books to Read with a Glass of Wine and Box of Tissues
- Armchair Escapes
- Cold Weather Reads
- Circus Themed Books
- Greek Mythology
Also, the main display in the Sidney Library for February features Love Stories and books about Friendship.
The Friends of the Libraries will hold their monthly book discussion at 11:30 am next Tuesday, February 18th in the Smart Community Room to discuss the book The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. All are welcome.