Join us on Wednesday, March 9th at 4pm to learn how to download ebooks for free through the library. If you have a smartphone, tablet, or e-reader (such as a Kindle or Nook), come join us! Participants should bring their device (fully charged), their library card, and library pin number.
This class is free but registration is required. Sign up in person at the library circulation desk, call us at 563-1200, or register online to save your spot.
Our Public Computing Center will host its Open Hours for the month of August on:
- Wednesday August 5th, 1 – 3pm
- Thursday August 13th, 12 – 2pm
- Monday August 24th, 2 – 4pm
Come to the PCC, downstairs in the Sidney Library, for help with your laptop, smartphone, tablet, or e-reader. You are also welcome to use the computers for genealogy research. No registration is required – help is given on a first come, first serve basis.
If you’ve always wanted to change the settings on your iPhone but are not sure where to start…
If you want to know how to program your new laptop…
If you would like one-on-one assistance with your tablet…
If you would like to use the library’s high-resolution scanner to scan old photos…
…Join us in the PCC (Public Computing Center, downstairs in the library) on Tuesday June 16th from 4-6pm.
- Would you like to learn how to design posters or greeting cards on the computer? Join us on Wednesday 6/17 at 4pm for an introduction to Microsoft Publisher, a computer program that is used for designing print materials.You will learn skills like inserting photos and changing fonts. You will leave with a file for a simple poster or greeting card.
- Interested in learning more about your family history? Our workshop on Monday 6/29 at 2pm will help you get started with genealogy research using Ancestry.com. We will show you how to access free clues and more information about your heritage, rather than having to pay for them.
All workshops are free but registration is required. Please sign up online, call 563-1200, or register in person at the library.
Also in June…
- We will have Open Hours, where you can get one-on-one help using your laptop, smartphone, tablet, or e-reader. We’ve helped people customize their new laptops, set up privacy protection and back up their smartphones, and set up their new Kindle e-readers. Just bring in your device and your questions, and we will help you out. Open Hours are on Monday 6/1 from 4-6pm, and also on Tuesday 6/16 from 4-6pm.
Want to try out a Kindle or a Nook Color? We now lend them out already pre-loaded with lots of new and popular books. If you don’t see a book you are interested in, check back soon. We will add new titles periodically.
What’s on the Kindle?
- The Light Between the Oceans by M.L. Stedman
- The Silver Star by Jeannette Walls
- Inferno by Dan Brown
- TransAtlantic by Colum McCann
- Laws of Gravity by Liz Rosenberg
- Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
- The Hit by David Baldacci
- 12th of Never by James Patterson
- And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini
- Let’s Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris
- The Girls of Atomic City: The Untold Story of the Women Who Helped Win WWII by Denise Kiernan
Kindle Singles (short stories/novellas exclusive to Kindle)
- Guns by Stephen King
- Pros & Cons by Janet Evanovich
- Hydrofracked by Abrahm Lustgarten
- Bittman’s Kitchen: What I Grill & Why by Mark Bittman
- A Textbook Case by Jeffrey Deave
What’s on the Nook Color?
- The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon
- Mrs. Lincoln’s Dressmaker by Jennifer Chiaverini
- The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss and Long-Term Health by T. Colin Campbell
- Cooked: A Natural History of Transformation by Michael Pollan
- Whisky Beach by Nora Roberts
- We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler
- If You Were Here by Alafair Burke
- Crashed by Timothy Hallinan
- Always Watching by Chevy Stevens
- They Year We Disappeared: A Father-Daughter Memoir by Cylin and John Busby
- The Master of Disguise: My Secret Life in the CIA by Antonio Mendez
- The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo