Use technology to research your family history! Our technology class on Monday, June 27th at 1:00pm will introduce you to Ancestry.com’s research, and how to use their special Library Edition to access free clues about your heritage.
This class is free but registration is required. Register online, in person at the Sidney Library main desk, or by calling us at 563-1200.
The Sidney Library isn’t just for books. We also host several clubs that are open to anyone interested. All clubs meet in our Smart Community Room.
- Writers’ Group – 1st and 3rd Mondays at 6:30pm
- Quilting Group – 2nd and 4th Tuesdays, 1-3pm
- Book Club, hosted by the Library Friends – 3rd Tuesday at 11:30am
- Ancestry / Genealogy Club – 4th Wednesday at 6pm
Stop by and see what our clubs are all about!
Do you enjoy doing genealogy research? Join our Ancestry/Genealogy Club which will meet every 4th Wednesday of the month. The first meeting will be Wednesday September 23rd, 2015 from 6:00 – 7:30pm in the Smart Community Room. You must bring your own laptop.
If you have taken our Researching Family History workshop, or have used Ancestry.com, feel free to join us!
Back by popular demand, our Ancestry class on genealogy research is being taught again on Friday September 4, 2015 at noon. If you would like to learn about Ancestry.com and how to do family history research for free, be sure to join us. As with all our computer classes, it is free but registration is required.
This class fills up very quickly so be sure to register soon – online, in person at the circulation desk, or by calling 563-1200.
If you would like to change the settings on your iPhone but are not sure where to start…
If you want to know how to set up your new laptop…
If you would like one-on-one assistance with your tablet…
If you would like to use the laptops for genealogy research…
…Join us in the PCC (Public Computing Center, downstairs in the library) on Monday July 27th, 2015 from 11am – 1pm for Open Hours.
- Would you like to learn how to design posters or greeting cards on the computer? Join us on Wednesday 6/17 at 4pm for an introduction to Microsoft Publisher, a computer program that is used for designing print materials.You will learn skills like inserting photos and changing fonts. You will leave with a file for a simple poster or greeting card.
- Interested in learning more about your family history? Our workshop on Monday 6/29 at 2pm will help you get started with genealogy research using Ancestry.com. We will show you how to access free clues and more information about your heritage, rather than having to pay for them.
All workshops are free but registration is required. Please sign up online, call 563-1200, or register in person at the library.
Also in June…
- We will have Open Hours, where you can get one-on-one help using your laptop, smartphone, tablet, or e-reader. We’ve helped people customize their new laptops, set up privacy protection and back up their smartphones, and set up their new Kindle e-readers. Just bring in your device and your questions, and we will help you out. Open Hours are on Monday 6/1 from 4-6pm, and also on Tuesday 6/16 from 4-6pm.
Do you know someone who would like to know more about spreadsheets and data tracking? Join us at the Sidney Library’s Public Computing Center this month. The Beginner Microsoft Excel class is Monday 2/23 at 6:30pm, and we have several other topics available too:
- using a flash drive
- Ancestry.com library edition
- scanning old photos, slides, or negatives