- Would you like to learn how to design posters or greeting cards on the computer? Join us on Wednesday 6/17 at 4pm for an introduction to Microsoft Publisher, a computer program that is used for designing print materials.You will learn skills like inserting photos and changing fonts. You will leave with a file for a simple poster or greeting card.
- Interested in learning more about your family history? Our workshop on Monday 6/29 at 2pm will help you get started with genealogy research using Ancestry.com. We will show you how to access free clues and more information about your heritage, rather than having to pay for them.
All workshops are free but registration is required. Please sign up online, call 563-1200, or register in person at the library.
Also in June…
- We will have Open Hours, where you can get one-on-one help using your laptop, smartphone, tablet, or e-reader. We’ve helped people customize their new laptops, set up privacy protection and back up their smartphones, and set up their new Kindle e-readers. Just bring in your device and your questions, and we will help you out. Open Hours are on Monday 6/1 from 4-6pm, and also on Tuesday 6/16 from 4-6pm.
Our free computer classes for the month of May will teach the following topics:
- Basic Budgeting with Excel – learn the basics of Microsoft Excel including how equations work and how to format cells. Leave with a personal or family budget that will automatically recalculate totals as new information is entered. Monday 5/4 @ 4pm
- Pinterest for Crafters, Cooks, and Teachers – Learn the basics of website Pinterest, including how to save recipes, patterns, and photos for future reference. Wednesday 5/20 @ 4pm
These classes require registration since there is limited space. Please call 563-1200, stop in to the library, or reserve your spot online by clicking here.
We also offer Open Hours, when you can get one-on-one help with your laptop, smartphone, tablet, or e-reader. You are also welcome to stop by and use our scanner or try an iPad. The dates for May and June are:
- Wednesday 5/6, 4-6pm
- Saturday 5/16, 2-4pm
- Monday 6/1, 4-6pm
- Tuesday 6/16, 4-6pm
No registration is required for Open Hours – just stop in at our Public Computing Center, in the basement of the library.
Do you know someone interested in learning more about Facebook, Skype, or some advanced Microsoft Word techniques? Our January computer classes can help! Click here to view the calendar of classes, and sign up online, by phone (563-1200) or in person at the circulation desk.
Don’t forget that the library’s Public Computing Center (PCC) has open hours on Mondays from 2-4 and Wednesdays from 11-1. If you have a specific question (how to get an audiobook on your iPhone, how to set up a private board on Pinterest, etc.) we can help!
Sidney Library’s Public Computing Center will offer classes during the month of August on the following topics:
- computer basics
- scanning and uploading photos
- introduction to Skype
If you are interested in registering for any of these classes, you can click here to view the complete calendar. By holding your mouse over a workshop you can see more information, including if there are still openings. Registration is available online, or by calling 563-1200 or stopping in to the Sidney Library.
Open hours are also available if you have a specific question about using a device or website. The PCC’s open hours will be every Wednesday from 10:00am to noon.
If you or anyone you know are interested in learning new computer skills, we invite you to check out the new computer classes being offered in May in our Public Computing Center. Topics include:
- computer basics;
- Microsoft Word;
- downloading and accessing photos from your digital camera; and
- using online services relating to the library system.
If you are interested, click here to view the calendar of classes. You can sign up online, by calling the library, or registering at the circulation desk.