The Friends of the Libraries will hold their monthly book club on Tuesday 6/16 at 11:30am. They will discuss this month’s selection, Life of Pi by Yann Martel. All are welcome to join.
Are you a knitter, or are you interested in learning how to knit? Join us for World Wide Knit Day all day on Saturday June 13, 2015 in the Smart Community Room where there will be displays and demonstrations on knitting. Come learn techniques like arm knitting (which require no knitting needles at all!) or try out an advanced technique like lacework. Members of the Jericho Fiber Arts Group will be on hand to talk to you about knitting or get you started if you would like to try it out. You are also welcome to come, hang out, and network with area knitters and fiber art folks.
You are welcome to stop by for a little bit, or stay all day. Come see what knitting has to offer!
June is Get Caught Listening month, a nationwide campaign to promote the joys of audiobooks. They are a great companion for those who travel often or have a long commute to work. The Sidney Library is proud to offer a variety of audiobooks:
- Next to our public computers, there is an entire wall of fiction and non-fiction audiobooks on CD, sorted by author.
- Our patrons can also access audiobooks via the 4CLS Download Zone. To log in, you will need is your library card number and pin number. (If you have questions about your pin number, please call the library during business hours and we will help you!)
We have a variety of library programs available for young children. Here are just a few:
- Music for Munchkins gives children ages 2-5 time to explore instruments, sing songs, and finish off with parachute play.
- Pre-K Tech gives young ones an educational experience with some of the technology in the library, including fun and educational apps and websites.
- Lego Time offers preschool through school age children a chance to play and create with Legos.
You can find complete program descriptions and dates on our Children & Teens page on the website.
- Would you like to learn how to design posters or greeting cards on the computer? Join us on Wednesday 6/17 at 4pm for an introduction to Microsoft Publisher, a computer program that is used for designing print materials.You will learn skills like inserting photos and changing fonts. You will leave with a file for a simple poster or greeting card.
- Interested in learning more about your family history? Our workshop on Monday 6/29 at 2pm will help you get started with genealogy research using Ancestry.com. We will show you how to access free clues and more information about your heritage, rather than having to pay for them.
All workshops are free but registration is required. Please sign up online, call 563-1200, or register in person at the library.
Also in June…
- We will have Open Hours, where you can get one-on-one help using your laptop, smartphone, tablet, or e-reader. We’ve helped people customize their new laptops, set up privacy protection and back up their smartphones, and set up their new Kindle e-readers. Just bring in your device and your questions, and we will help you out. Open Hours are on Monday 6/1 from 4-6pm, and also on Tuesday 6/16 from 4-6pm.
Thank you so much to the voters of the Sidney Central School District, who recently voted 308-53 to approve our library budget. Because of your support, we will be able to continue to offer books and other media, children’s programs, computer classes, and much more.
In observance of Memorial Day, the Sidney Library will be closed Monday 5/25. We will resume normal business hours on Tuesday.
The Friends of the Libraries sponsor a monthly book club, which anyone is welcome to join. This month, they will be discussing The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty. The group will meet Tuesday 5/19 at 11:30am in the Smart Community Room.
Are you new to Medicare? Do you have questions about seniors’ health insurance or different prescription plans? Join us on Monday 5/11 at 2pm in the Smart Community Room to learn from Donna Martino, who is a Health Insurance Counseling & Assistance Program Coordinator. She will discuss things like supplemental insurance options, prescription coverage, and your options for Medicare benefits. Ms. Martino is a wonderful resource for those who are trying to choose the right health insurance for their situation. This program is free and open to the public.