Are you curious about some of the flowers you see growing wild? On Tuesday 4/28 at 6:30pm, come learn more about wildflowers and how to identify them. Martin and Mary Ann Cuff of the Cornell Cooperative Extension of Broome County will share tips and help you set up an identification kit. We hope you will join us for this program, which is free to the public.
Our big book sale is coming up this week. This is a three day sale featuring books, movies, magazines, and more at extremely low prices. Come join us in the Smart Community Room on the following dates:
- Thursday 4/23, 6:00 – 8:00pm
- Friday 4/24, 9:30am – 5:00pm
- Saturday 4/25, 10:00am – 1:00pm
Thanks to the Friends of the Libraries for running this event.
The Friends of the Libraries will hold their monthly book discussion group on Tuesday 4/21 at 11:30am. They will discuss the book The Daring Ladies of Lowell by author Kate Alcott. All are welcome at these meetings.
If you would like to start reading for the May book club meeting, you can pick up a copy of The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty from our circulation desk.
If you enjoy attending one of our many children’s programs, or would like to start, please be aware of the recent changes that have been made. You can find all updated descriptions on the Children & Teens page of the library website, or pick up a copy of the kids’ calendar (with notes on the back) at our circulation desk.
The Sidney Library will be part of a county-wide Seed Swap program now through the end of May. Look for the old fashioned card catalog, which will be full of seed packets (flowers, vegetables, and herbs). You are welcome to take what you will use for your own garden.
In addition, if you have leftover seeds from 2014 or 2015, you can bring them in to share with others. It is a fun and free way to see what types of seeds are out there, and to add some variety to your garden. We hope you enjoy them!
Help us celebrate National Library Week, which was designed to acknowledge the contributions of our nation’s libraries and promote library use. What can you do? Invite a friend to sign up for a free library card, or come visit us yourself.
Did you know:
- Our library has a large selection of DVD’s to borrow. This ranges from big blockbusters like The Avengers to independent and foreign films. Many of these titles are not available on streaming sites like Netflix. Come see what we have to offer.
- We get new books almost every week. Whether you’re looking for cookbooks, historical biographies, picture books for your kids, or something to read on vacation, we have an excellent variety. If you’d like something we don’t have, we can almost always request it from another library for you.
- If you prefer listening to books, we have a large selection of audiobooks (books on CD) that are alphabetized by author. We have audiobooks for all reading levels: children, young adult, and adult.
Beginning April 1, 2015, the Masonville Branch Library has new hours:
Tues 3:30 – 7:00
Wed 3:30 – 7:00
Thurs 3:30 – 7:00
Fri 1:00 – 5:00
Sat 10:00 – 2:00
Closed Sundays and Mondays
During the month of April, stop by our Smart Community Room and see the beautiful drawings of Meg Anderson Argo. Ms. Argo, who was a professional photographer for 20 years, also does pastel drawings which will be on display. She is inspired by nature, including the mountains of upstate New York and the ocean views of Cape Cod. Feel free to visit the exhibit any time the library is open.
In observance of the Easter holiday, the Sidney Library will be closed on Sunday 4/5. We will resume normal hours on Monday.
We often find bugs annoying, but there are lots of insects that help keep gardens and plants healthy. If you would like to learn more about beneficial insects and the types of plants that attract them, you will not want to miss our upcoming program. On Tuesday 4/7 at 6:30pm, Linda Svoboda from Cornell Cooperative Extension of Broome County will present on this topic. Veteran and new gardeners alike are sure to learn a few tips from Ms. Svoboda. We hope you will join us for this free program.