Research4CLS provides access to a collection of high-quality, accurate, electronic resources. Some of these databases are made possible through NOVELny, the New York Online Virtual Library, a public information network for New Yorkers. These databases and websites are available to all New York State residents free of charge and no library card is required. Genealogy
- Ancestry.com New York -- Portions of Ancestry.com pertaining to New York are free to NY state residents. The New York State Archives partnered with Ancestry to digitize some NY state records of interest to genealogists. The resulting databases are free if you live in New York State.
- Digital Archives of George F. Johnson Memorial Library--This digital archives covers publications in the Endicott area for the years 1856-1951. Publications include the Daily Bulletin, Endicott Bulletin, Endicott Daily Bulletin, Endicott-Johnson Workers Review, Endicott Times, Johnson City Endicott Record, News Dispatch, The Record, Union Endicott News, and The Union Weekly News.
- Family Search--Records, resources, and services for genealogical research; especially good for state census data.
- Fulton History--Access to more than 16 million pages of historical New York State newspapers as well as historical postcards.
- NYS Historic Newspapers -- This state wide project provides free online access to a wide range of newspapers chosen to reflect New York's unique history.
- Amazing Animals of the World--Facts and photos for elementary school students of more than 1200 animals.
- America the Beautiful--Articles on US cities, states, and presidents for elementary school students.
eLibrary Elementary--Over 140 magazines and books for elementary students as well as the American Heritage Dictionary
- Encyclopedia Americana--Includes atlases, dictionaries, thesauri, and profiles
- EngageNY--Information on New York State's P-12 Common Core Learning Standards
Grolier Multimedia Encyclopedia--Derived from the Academic American Encyclopedia for upper grade students through adults and includes encyclopedia articles, research starters, games, puzzles, an atlas, and dictionary.
Kids InfoBits--Contains over 100 age-appropriate magazines for grades K-5. Also includes Merriam-Webster's Elementary Dictionary, maps, flags, seals, charts, and graphs.
Land and Peoples--Articles on countries, cultures, and current events, plus an atlas and almanacs for middle and high school students.
La Nueva Enciclopedia Cumbre--A Spanish language encyclopedia written from a Latin American perspective with timelines, maps, and an events calendar.
New Book of Knowledge--Encyclopedia for middle grade students that includes homework help, world history, timelines, games, & puzzles.
New Book of Popular Science--Articles about science, technology, and medicine with photos, maps, and technical illustrations for middle and high school students.
Scholastic--Includes content from all the above Go! databases and is provided by NovelNY.
- Academic One File--Multimedia research information, with an emphasis on the hard sciences, engineering, and business, as well as agriculture, criminal justice, environmental studies, pop culture, psychology, war, and terrorism.
- Driving-Test.org--Free DMV permit practice tests. This resource will help you prepare for the theory portion of your permit test.
- FreeTestPrep--Resources for preparing to take the ACT, SAT, and GED, including practice questions, flashcards, admissions essays, articles, and guides
- Gannett Newsstand Complete--Over 85 Gannett newspapers, including 6 from New York State (the Ithaca Journal, Poughkeepsie Journal, Rochester Democrat and Chronicle, Journal News (White Plains), Press and Sun-Bulletin (Binghamton), and Star-Gazette (Elmira).
- General One File--A comprehensive general-interest database with journal articles, as well as travel guides, transcripts from National Public Radio, and television video files.
- Health Reference Center Academic--A medical database with journal articles, reference books, pamphlets, and online videos covering medicine, health, and nursing topics.
- InfoTrac Newsstand--Full-text newspapers, including the New York Times from 1995- and more than 1000 major US regional, national, and local newspapers (33 from New York State).
- New York State Newspapers--A database of 33 major newspapers published in the State of New York: the Albany Times Union, New York Times, Newsday, Buffalo News, Post-Standard (Syracuse), Watertown Daily Times, Times Herald-Record (Middletown) and others.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context--More than 13,000 pro/con viewpoints on current issues.
- Best Free Reference Web Sites--An index to the best websites for reference work from the Reference and Users Services Association, a division of the American Library Association
- Business Insights Essentials--Company profiles, industry reports, and finance reports, plus more than 3900 business magazines and newspapers.
- Digital Library of America--A portal to digital information from libraries, archives, and museums, with access by timeline, format, map, and topic.
- HathiTrust--A online depository of digitized books and articles from some of the leading libraries in the world.