New York State provides funds for public library construction projects. Since 2006, the funding statewide has been at $14 Million. That brings around $400,000 to the 4CLS region.
For 2016-2017, the appropriation was boosted to $19 Million statewide. We expect the boost to bring an additional $140,000 for eligible projects.
The DLD website has a lot of information about the Construction Aid Program:
- Main Construction Page – www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/construc/
- Application Procedure – www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/construc/14m/index.html
- Application Instructions – www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/construc/14m/instruct.htm
- Frequently Asked Questions – www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/construc/14m/faq.htm
- Application Portal Link – eservices.nysed.gov/ldgrants/index.jsp
- Increased effectiveness of library service due to increased and/or improved building space and capacity
- More efficient utilization of the library building resulting in such economies as energy conservation and increased staff efficiency.
- Improved access to and use of building services by all library users, including those with physical disabilities
- Provision of library services to geographically isolated or economically disadvantaged communities
- Minimum project cost is $5,000
- 50% local match is required
- Libraries that serve an economically disadvantaged community are eligible for a reduced local march (25%)
- Expenses incurred after July 1 of the application year are eligible, but the project must bot be completed before the application due date
- Projects for buildings that are 50 years old or older, must receive clearance from the NYS Historic Preservation Office (SHPO).
- Projects can be submitted for approval online – https://cris.parks.ny.gov/Login.aspx?ReturnUrl=%2f
- Application is online – portal link – eservices.nysed.gov/ldgrants/index.jsp
- NY.GOV ID is required – my.ny.gov
- Applicants must have an Employer ID Number (EIN) that is different from their municipality.
- Apply for an EIN via the IRS
- Applicants must have a NYS vendor number
- Contact Barbara Massago – email@example.com or (518) 486-4885
Applications are due to 4CLS in late August. A specific date will be announced when the portal is opened.
For more information, contact Steven Bachman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-723-8236 ext. 301